Occasionally, YouTube doesn’t recognize the master files I create in Final Cut Pro as HLG HDR, so I’ve taken to uploading my HDR projects to YouTube through Compressor.
1) Send completed project to Compressor from Final Cut Pro.
2) Click on project.
3) Once project has finished loading, click on ‘add’ under settings in the Batch pane then select ‘Publish to YouTube’ from the drop down menu.
4) Click on Video tab in the Inspector.
5) Select HEVC in from the Codec menu.
6) Select 10-bit in the Profile menu.
7) After clicking on ‘Start Batch’, you may be prompted to review any errors.
8) In this case, we are asked to complete Title, Description and Tags.
9) After clicking on ‘Start Batch’, you will be directed to Google, where you will be asked to allow Compressor to access your account, then you will be re-directed to Compressor.
10) After clicking ‘Publish’, you will be directed to the jobs in progress screen. Processing can take anywhere from thirty minutes for a small job to twelve or more hours for a 40-minute video (on a 2017 27″ iMac). It may then take several more hours before YouTube finishes processing the video for HLG HDR. Be patient!